Old South charm
Punta Gorda is an enchanting historic waterfront town where royal palms line cobblestone streets. With plenty of wide verandas and street lamps, but no high-rises or traffic lights to interfere with its Old South charm, you'll feel like you wandered back in time. Englewood has four beaches on the charming barrier island of Manasota Key. The lesser known Englewood Beach remains uncrowded, affordable and ideal for shelling. Florida snowbirds flock here to boat, fish, golf and enjoy nature in a peaceful setting.
Whether you want to stroll the beaches, collect shells or venture offshore to fish, cruise or swim, you'll be surrounded by sun, surf and sand. No matter how you filled the daylight hours, gorgeous sunsets round off the day and lead into romantic, starlit nights.
- Golf: A wide range of resort, public and semi-private courses will keep you on the links.
- A.C. Freeman House Museum: Charlotte County's only remaining Victorian home, this authentically restored and furnished late Victorian gem is a unique glimpse into the area's past.
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium: Dolphins and coral reefs make the drive to nearby Sarasota more than worthwhile.
With art shows, turtle watching and seafood festivals in the surrounding area, there's plenty to do year round. One local highlight you'll want to catch is:
- Labor Day (September): Every Labor Day weekend, Englewood commemorates the pioneers who founded the area, with golf and fishing tournaments, boat races and a colorful parade.
Historic Punta Gorda boasts Fishermen's Village, a unique waterfront spot with gift shops, clothing boutiques, specialty shops and restaurants.
No matter where you stay, the atmosphere in Punta Gorda is Old South. Vacation rentals include private rental homes, low-rise condominiums, apartment efficiencies, hotel rooms and motel rooms. The 98-slip marina offers fully furnished luxury villas.
Need to Know
- 35 miles south of Sarasota and 50 miles north of Fort Myers.
- Summer temperatures average mid 90s F.
- Winter temperatures average in the mid to upper 60s F
- Picnic tables
- No lifeguards
Slightly off the beaten path, Punta Gorda is a peaceful paradise. Check out these Punta Gorda vacation ideas if a serene getaway suits your style.
|Write A Comment|