North Lido Beach
Sarasota's best-kept secret
Privacy is the key attraction on North Lido Beach. In fact, North Lido provides so much seclusion that it was once favored as a topless beach. Today this half-mile stretch, located behind a residential area, is still so private it attracts couples - both gay and straight - interested in romantic strolls. Although the sand is slightly course, the regal Australian pines edging the shore are so attractive you might not notice your feet. Conveniently located a quarter mile from St. Armands Circle, an outdoor shopping and restaurant district, North Lido offers something for everyone.
One of Lido Key's trio of beaches, North Lido Beach is within easy reach of its sister beaches - Lido Public Beach and South Lido Park.
Lido Key's many bays and backwater estuaries are perfect for charter boating, deep sea fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling. While nature trails run through all three parks, only the northern trail hosts a mangrove swamp (with a canoe trail) and tidal swamp forest. Since the north beach is kept wild, birds and other wildlife flourish here.
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium: This world-famous marine research facility boasts a 350,000-gallon shark tank. Grab the helm with one of the Immersion Cinema's interactive consoles and see where this cutting edge game / movie experience takes you.
- Crowley Museum and Nature Center: Self-guided nature walks, pioneer history and kids' programs are part of this surprisingly affordable family attraction.
- Florida Winefest and Auction: (April): This four-day annual event raises funds for children's charities through wine tastings, food seminars, and gala dinner dances.
- Sarasota Reading Festival (November): This day-long, free event draws some of the nation's best authors. Whether you like mysteries, cookbooks, history, romance or just a good yarn, this is a bookworm's dream -- and every child who participates gets a free book. How perfect is that?
The evening's entertainment awaits at St. Armands Key. Just a short walk from the beach, this area, is brimming with gourmet restaurants and nightclubs.
The North Lido Beach area is not overrun with high-rise hotels and sprawling condos. Small motels line the beach and even the Holiday Inn is capped at six floors. Many of Lido Key's hotels, condominiums, apartments and motels offer views of the Gulf and beach access.
Need to Know
- On Lido Key, Sarasota.
- Annual average highs are 83 F.
- Annual average lows are 62 F.
- Concession stand
- Small gift shop
- Jet Ski rentals
- Note: No lifeguards on duty
Untamed nature and seclusion make North Lido Beach an unexpected escape, so close to Sarasota. If a North Lido Beach escape appeals to your wild side, check out our deals.
|Write A Comment|