Beautiful and friendly
Just minutes from Naples, Marco Island offers a tropical island escape for lovers, eco-tourists and boaters alike. Marco, the largest of the Ten Thousand Islands, welcomes visitors to its four-mile, crescent-shaped beach, and grants easy access to the unspoiled Everglades.
There's something for everyone on Marco Island - the warm Gulf climate provides a languishing escape for honeymooners and couples seeking a breathtaking Florida beach wedding.
Eco-tourists will be in awe of Marco's natural wonders - shell-lined shores, playful dolphins, mangrove islands and sandbars. Snowbirds will love the sleepy, swanky ambiance.
You don't come to Marco Island to stay in your hotel. Highlights of outdoor activities include:
- Fishing: The waters around Marco Island are filled with tarpon, snook and redfish.
- Canoeing and kayaking: Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve attracts paddlers with 110,000 acres of islands and estuaries. Catch a glimpse of sea turtles, bald eagles, ospreys, manatees and dolphins on your way to an uninhabited island.
- Day trips: Take a day trip to Everglades National Park or Big Cypress National Preserve to see great blue heron and endangered Florida panthers.
If you'd rather be dockside, you can tee-off at one of Marco's many golf courses. Browse Old Marco Island boutiques and dine on seafood caught fresh from local shores. While the Marco Island Chamber of Commerce has many vacation ideas, one must-see highlight is:
- The Cushing Archaeological Site: Between 3,000 and 3,500 years old, this Native American site is one of the most significant archaeological finds on the continent.
- Marco Island Film Festival (November): Featuring shorts, documentaries and indie releases, this annual event is a must for film buffs.
- Taste of Collier (May): Live performances, ice carving and plenty of food from area restaurants make this family-friendly event entertaining and delicious.
When the sun sets so does everything else, with the exception of the island's movie theater and a few hotel bars. Drive to Naples Inn at Pelican Bay to dance to reggae music and enjoy hors d'oeuvres.
At Marco Island you can choose from beachfront island resorts (with wedding packages), historic inns, rental homes and condos. Or stay in nearby Everglades City at a historic lodge, bed and breakfast, motel or campground.
Need to Know
- 2 miles south of Naples on Florida's Paradise Coast.
- Summer temperatures average 90 F.
- Winter temperatures average 75 F.
- Bath / change rooms
- Concessions with beach equipment rentals
- Picnic areas with grills
- Butterfly garden
- Beach wheelchair access
Water, weddings and wildlife make Marco Island a dream vacation spot. Marco Island escapes are just a click away.
|Write A Comment|