Lovers Key State Park
Your key to remote romance
Lovers Key is an unspoiled state park so out-of-the-way it lets lovers relish Gulf coast sunsets in the privacy of each other's arms. The park transports guests across the lagoons and mangroves on a tractor-pulled tram to one of two beach access points. With that kind of privacy, no wonder Lovers Key's seclusion draws so many couples and honeymooners. In fact, the park has become such a popular Florida wedding destination that the park has added a gazebo dedicated solely to beachside nuptials.
Even for those not getting hitched, though, the tidal lagoons, edged with mangroves and filled with aquatic creatures, make for great ecotourism in Florida.
Although Lovers Key State Park is off the beaten path, it's still vulnerable. To preserve the fragile ecosystem and educate visitors, Lovers Key provides a wide range of guided tours.
- Guided tours: Guided beach walks, eco-sunset tours, kayak excursions and bike tours will show you the sites without leaving too much of a foot print (or tire tracks).
Wildlife is always a draw. Spring and summer are prime manatee-spotting times. Even if these water mammals pull a no-show, you can always join a park ranger for a shell craft demonstration, beginners birding lesson or bike tour of the Black Island Trail.
- Annual American Sandsculpting Championship Festival (November): This Fort Myers Beach event draws 45,000 people each year. Master sand sculptors claim it's the best sand in the world for their creations, and they provide powerful evidence to support this - one visit to the Sand Magic Kingdom will have you convinced.
- Shrimp Festival (March): This Lions Club event includes a parade, exhibits and blessing of the shrimp fleet.
Fort Myers Beach nightlife is hotter than the sand in summer. Enjoy casino gambling aboard the Big M Casino, a luxurious 162-foot yacht that launches from Fort Myers Beach. The Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce will have up-to-the-minute details.
Fort Myers Beach features full-service resorts, inns, beachfront condos and efficiency motels, while Lovers Key Beach Club and Resort offers special beach wedding packages.
Need to Know
- Between Fort Myers Beach and Bonita Beach
- Spring and summer temperatures average is 84 F.
- Fall and winter temperatures average 71 F.
- Canoe and kayak rentals
- Bicycle rentals
- Beach supplies
Remote and romantic, Lovers Key State Park is for nature-lovers and lovebirds alike. If a remote Lovers Key State Park getaway turns you on, check out our deals.
|Write A Comment|