Proud provider of the world's finest, whitest sand
While many beaches claim to have "The World's Finest, Whitest Sand," Crescent Beach can back its title up with paperwork from the Great International Sand Challenge. But more than just pretty sand brings the tourists - white beaches combine with impressive views to make Crescent Beach an ideal location for a beach wedding and honeymoon.
Crescent Beach, an eight-mile-long barrier island, is popular with artisans and writers. The friendly, funky and laid-back atmosphere makes Crescent Beach a popular gay friendly Florida destination, while fishing enthusiasts love the numerous bays, lakes and rivers.
While you can golf at one of the area's many public golf courses, for those who wish to venture beyond the green, there's plenty to do. The Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce has plenty of vacation ideas. Highlights include:
- Snorkeling: Point-of-Rocks, a limestone rock formation located at the south end of Crescent Beach, is a snorkeler's paradise.
- Fishing: With more than 1000 species of fish and more bays, rivers, lakes and streams than you can count, Crescent Beach can keep you reeling them in from dawn till dusk. Be sure to have your fishing license in hand before heading out for a day on the water.
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium: More than a marine research center, this Longboat Key attraction provides families with real life encounters of the marine kind. Whether it's a hands-on experience with sting rays or a virtual tour of a shark attack, kids of all ages will find thrills and underwater intrigue.
- Sarasota Jungle Gardens: Eye-catching flamingos and razor-toothed alligators are only the start. Hold an eight-foot Burmese Python or talk to a parrot. You can even meet the zookeeper and learn the behind-the-scenes scoop on running a zoo.
- Cincinnati Reds (February/March): Get a jump on baseball and take yourself out to the (spring training) ball game. Baseball fans can catch big name players for a fraction of the regular season price.
- Sarasota Red Sox: Move over Boston! Soak up the sun and enjoy single-A ball during the regular season. With free admission, affordable treats and mascot Gordy the Gecko, this is a fun and affordable family outing.
Home to artists and writers, the nightlife here is vivacious and unique. Funky beach bars, live bands, Euro-inspired pubs and energetic cafes turn Siesta Village into an oxymoron.
Crescent Beach vacation rentals are numerous. You can stay beachfront or bayfront at a private resort, villa, condo, apartment, motel, hotel or inn. Accommodations range from luxurious to economical, with prices to match.
Need to Know
- Siesta Key (a barrier island) parallel to Sarasota.
- Two bridges link Siesta Key to the mainland - the North Bridge provides easy access to downtown Sarasota, while the South Bridge links you to discount shops.
- Siesta Key is blessed with average annual temperatures of 74 F.
- In winter, the thermometer rarely dips below 60 F.
- In summer, temperatures rarely climb higher than 93 F.
- Sheltered picnic areas
- Concession stands
- Volleyball and tennis courts
- Softball field
- Jogging trail
White sand makes Crescent Beach an ideal spot for a white wedding. See the world's finest sand for yourself with a Crescent Beach vacation.
|Write A Comment|