Bahia Honda State Park
Best beach on the continent
Exchange vows with the sand between your toes at Bahia Honda State Park. No need for wedding decorations - this 524-acre park comes naturally adorned with colorful corals, palms, tiger lilies and sea lavender. For a more traditional ceremony, marry on the Old Bahia Honda Bridge with its spectacular sunset view as your backdrop. Don't be surprised if blue herons, gulls, egrets and pelicans sing you their blessings.
For those with no interest in tying the knot, Bahia Honda Channel also provides some of the best Florida scuba diving.
If you care to leave the honeymoon suite, there's plenty to do outdoors. Highlights include:
- Scuba and snorkeling: Twelve miles away, Looe Key Reef offers diving and snorkel ventures daily.
- Boating: Charter a boat or kayak the waters around the park.
- Fishing: Anglers flock to Bahia Honda State Park during tarpon season.
If you'd rather not go out onto the water, the Key West Chamber of Commerce has plenty of onshore holiday ideas.
Water is where it's at in Bahia Honda. Highlights include:
- Boat tours: Hitch a ride on a glass bottom boat or enjoy a dolphin encounter.
- The African Queen: For fans of classic cinema, drive to Key Largo and explore The African Queen - set foot on the boat where Humphrey Bogart turned in an Oscar-winning performance alongside his co-star Katharine Hepburn. Don't worry, you won't have to walk through leach-infested waters on this tour.
- Little Palm Island Grand Slam (August): Part of the Redbone Celebrity Tournament Series, this annual fishing contest raises funds for cystic fibrosis with a contest focusing on reeling in the big fish - bonefish, permit and tarpon.
- Parrot Heads in Paradise Convention (November): This annual Key West gathering of Jimmy Buffett fans includes more than Margaritas and music.
If you want to waste away in Margaritaville, a 45-minute drive will take you to the numerous bars and clubs on Duval Street in Key West. Just be sure you have a designated driver when you're ready to cruise back home. If you're not into the bar scene, a starlit walk on the beach is a perfect way to spend the evening.
Bahia Honda State Park has tent and RV camping, as well as three duplex six-sleeper cabins. While the Lower Keys have few motels, you'll find several waterfront bed and breakfasts on Big Pine Key.
Need to Know
- Lower Florida Keys, 45 minutes from Key West.
- Average annual temperature is 80 F.
- Summer and winter temperatures rarely vary more than 10 degrees.
- Picnic areas
- Outdoor showers
- Pay phones near the beach
Whether you love big fish, Jimmy Buffett or romantic weddings, Bahia Honda State Park has something for you. The Bahia Honda getaway of your choice is just a click away.
|Write A Comment|