The American Riviera
South Beach is a fantasyland with unique architecture, chic nightlife that just won't quit and stunning shorelines. Although South Beach claims less than two square miles of Miami Beach's southern tip, nothing can compare. The backdrop for numerous films, music videos and television shows, it truly is The American Riviera.
South Beach draws celebrities, trendy youth and the young-at-heart with cash to burn. Since wet T-shirt contests are rare, South Beach spring break is more of a couple's event than a single's bash.
Refined relaxation and chic parties replace the raw decadence of Panama City Beach or Daytona Beach. Sophistication creates plenty of gay appeal, yet draws nightlife crowds of all sexual orientations.
Miles of designer-brand shopping can keep you darting in and out of doors for days. If you want to spend more time outside than in, swim in the warm waters or just lay back and catch some rays. With gay and lesbian beaches, nude sunbathing and an anything-goes attitude, you can be as active or relaxed as you wish.
- Art Deco District Welcome Center: Thanks to the Miami Design Preservation League, South Beach boasts the largest collection of 1920s and 30s architecture in the world. The society offers a variety of tours to get you acquainted with this architectural gem. See for yourself with a walking, self-guided, bicycle or private tour.
- The Jackie Gleason Theater of the Performing Arts: This 2700-seat, state-of-the-art venue offers entertainment in all forms - comedy, concerts, dance, Broadway, television productions and much more.
- New World Symphony: Showcasing every musical genre from modern compositions to classic chamber choirs, lush symphonies to children's concerts, the NWS draws rave reviews and attracts international stars like Renee Fleming and Yo-Yo Ma.
- Miami International Film Festival (January to February): This world-class event posts impressive numbers - 300 filmmakers from 50 countries, drawing nearly 70,000 moviegoers. More than just flicks, the event hosts panel discussions and seminars, and also provides the inside scoop on the financial and distribution realities of the film industry.
- South Beach Wine and Food Festival (end of February): Here, the South Beach Diet takes on a whole new meaning. Celebrity chefs share their secrets, and exhibitors allow you to taste your way around the gourmet globe.
With bars, restaurants, nightclubs and live music on almost every corner, finding a way to spend a South Beach evening won't be your problem – but narrowing down your choices will.
While pricy South Beach Art Deco hotels are comfortable and unique, the Miami Chamber of Commerce can offer less lavish and more economical accommodation options.
Need to Know
- the Art Deco district of Miami Beach
- Hurricane season is June to November, bringing humid weather and frequent thunderstorms.
- In summer, humidity can make the 90+ F temperatures unbearable.
- In fall and winter, temperatures range from mid 70s F to upper 80s F.
- Lifeguard stands
- Concrete promenade
Art Deco architecture and other cultural arts make South Beach a cosmopolitan wonder. Visit us before booking your South Beach vacation.
|Write A Comment|