John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
AKA: Air Force Beach
Affectionately called Air Force Beach, John D. MacArthur Beach State Park was once the most flourishing nude beach in Florida. In fact, founder John D. MacArthur invited Walt Disney to skinny dip here in the 1960s. Nudism survived until 1982, when the State refused to protect naturists any longer. Today, if you want to sun in the buff, ditch the bathing suit just outside the park boundaries. Currently, this state park and nature center preserves a sub-tropical coastal habitat, and almost two miles of natural beach.
When you're not catching some rays, enjoy fishing, birding or snorkeling. One must-do water sport is:
- Kayaking: Easy to maneuver between the mangroves, kayaks help you explore the uninhabited islands and area wildlife.
- William T. Kirby Nature Center: This center not only contains aquariums, nature exhibits and educational videos on the park's wildlife, but you can also learn about local endangered animals such as loggerhead turtles, roseate spoonbills, ghost crab and snook.
- Florida Coastal Clean-up and Barbecue (September): You can help clean up the marine environment at this annual event. Once the trash is tossed, reward yourself at the thank-you barbecue on the beach.
- Palm Beach Wine and Food Classic (end of October): This annual event showcases wines and cuisine from around the world. Seminars and cooking demonstrations are just part of the weekend-long event.
Palm Beach quietly sips wine at a ritzy hotel, but just across the bridge, West Palm Beach's Clematis Street heats up the night.
More than 200 luxury resorts, boutique hotels, bed and breakfasts, and historic inns can be found in Palm Beach, at varying prices. Check with the North Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce for lodging ideas that will fit your Florida accommodation budget.
Need to Know
- North Palm Beach on Singer Island.
- Average spring and summer temperatures range from 70 to 85 F.
- Average fall and winter temperatures range from 65 to 70 F.
- Two covered picnic pavilions with grills (rental only)
With untouched nature and clothing optional seclusion, John D. MacArthur Beach appeals to both naturalists and naturists alike. If a John D. MacArthur Beach vacation suits your style, check out our deals.
|Write A Comment|