With twenty-two miles of beautiful sandy beaches, Hutchinson Island still looks much like it did a century ago. An almost perfect climate makes this the ideal destination for golfers, tennis buffs, water enthusiasts and those looking for peace and tranquility. Shopping and restaurants are plentiful here, yet in South Hutchinson Island nature prevails. With so much to see and do, families can easily keep kids of any age amused for days.
A natural coral reef creates a shallow, clear lagoon at low tide, aptly named Bathtub Beach. Perfect for wading, this family friendly Florida beach makes a great natural splashing pool. Other area highlights include:
- Horseback riding: Hutchinson Island is one of the few places in the state where you can experience the thrill of riding a horse right on the beach.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling: Both novice and advanced divers and snorkelers will love to explore the shipwrecks at three popular artificial reefs off Hutchinson Island.
- Fishing: The area is perfect for deep-sea fishing or surf-casting.
- Florida Oceanographic Society: Take a guided nature walk, take an eco-tour of the Indian River Lagoon or learn to handle, feed and pat the stingrays.
- The Elliot Museum: The oldest structure in the county, this museum began as a refuge for shipwrecked sailors and now preserves exhibits from as far back as the 1500s.
Fort Pierce, Vero Beach and Stuart offer year-round events such as jazz festivals, art walks and open air festivals.
Nearby Stuart is an artsy community of museums, theaters and restaurants. Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach and Fort Pierce offer a medley of restaurants, golf courses and cultural attractions.
The island's best resort is undoubtedly the Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort and Marina. Nearby Stuart and Jensen Beach have reasonably priced hotels amongst downtown shops and restaurants.
Need to Know
- A barrier island on Florida's Southwest coast, an hour and a half north of West Palm Beach.
- This area becomes quite warm and humid in summertime, with lots of short, fast moving thunderstorms.
- September is the rainy month.
- Late fall, winter and early spring are delightfully warm and sunny with cool evenings.
- Free parking
Year round warmth and plenty to do outdoors make this an ideal family destination. Check out our Hutchison Island vacation ideas for a great Florida family escape.
|Write A Comment|