Bohemian beaches make Florida fun
Once a sleepy South Florida enclave, Hollywood Beach has undergone a bohemian renaissance over the past few years, and now includes trendy galleries, hot clubs and restaurants amongst its repertoire - with accommodations at half the cost of comparable tourist destinations. Today it's an affordable alternative to South Beach, without the attitude. The mix of Jamaican, Chinese, Dominican and Anglo give Hollywood Beach a global flavor. When you're not dining on international cuisine, enjoy the wide sandy beach, the long boardwalk and the best values in the South.
With a plethora of restaurants and touristy shops along the beach, hanging out is a popular activity. Highlights include:
- The Boardwalk: You can stroll, inline skate or bike with ease, along the wide and lengthy boardwalk.
- Hollywood Beach Theater / Bandshell: The only seaside venue of its kind in Broward County, this unique facility seats 500. Dance under the stars or enjoy live music out in the open air.
Hollywood is home to contemporary art in many forms. Highlights include:
- The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood: Modern art exhibits, dance performances and education programs make this an artistic place to stop and visit.
- ArtsPark: Formerly Young Circle, this ambitiously planned cultural playground includes gardens, promenades, fountains, an art gallery, a storytelling and puppetry area, and an outdoor amphitheater.
- South Florida Jazz: Year round, you can catch the hottest jazz in Florida - from New Orleans Dixieland to classic crooners.
- Ocean Dance (December): This free weekend-long dance festival takes place on Hollywood Beach. Featuring internationally acclaimed dance troops from around the world, fireworks on New Year's Eve ends the festival with a bang.
Try your luck at the Hard Rock Cafe International and the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino at the Seminole Indian Nation Reservation. Hollywood Beach's "main strip" is also home to many hip clubs and restaurants.
Need to Know
- between Fort Lauderdale and Miami
- Average spring and summer temperatures are typically around 80 F.
- Average fall and winter temperatures average 70 F.
- Hollywood North Beach Park offers:
- Picnic areas
- 60-foot observation tower
- Sea turtle hatchery
An eclectic mix of global cuisine and art, Hollywood Beach is as hip as its California counterpart. If a Hollywood Beach vacation appeals to your inner-artist, check out our deals.
|Write A Comment|