Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge
Celebrities, seclusion and sun
Jupiter Island, which hosts Hobe Sound, is America's wealthiest community. Many presidents and athletes have escaped the limelight here, including Celine Dion, who owns one of the island's sprawling, multi-million dollar mansions.
In contrast to this splashy backdrop is a quiet wildlife reserve, which invites retirees, families and nude beach enthusiasts, not celebrities. Even though Hobe is not officially designated as a nude beach, naturists can enjoy the island's isolation in peace - provided they use the proper precautions.
- On the water: Sail to the Hobe Sound Pipe Crossing where you can spy Jupiter Island's wealthiest mansions. Nudists can make reservations aboard one of Palm Beach's naturist boating expeditions and enjoy the seclusion of nearby St. Lucie Inlet State Reserve.
- On shore: Bike from the Jupiter Outdoor Center, along the beach to the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse.
- St. Louis Cardinals: Jupiter Island hosts the Cardinals during spring training. Watch major league pros for a fraction of the regular season price.
- Blowing Rocks Preserve: This conservation area features wondrous waves that shoot up from holes in limestone formations along the ocean - sometimes as high as 50 feet.
- Annual Hobe Sound Festival of the Arts (February): This free street festival features art in all forms - sculpture, paintings, pottery, stained glass, jewelry and more. Meet the artists, ask questions and pick up an affordable original work.
- Golf Tournament (May): This annual sell-out event attracts golfers from all over the area. Hosted by The Jupiter Island Club, golfers tee-off with a complimentary breakfast and then enjoy lunch at a special awards ceremony.
Jupiter Island is the place for privacy and relaxation, but West Palm Beach is within easy driving distance if you crave more.
Jupiter Island offers every lavishly priced resort, seaside cottage, charming inn and cozy bed and breakfast imaginable. While expensive, Jupiter Beach Resort offers unparalleled seclusion. More modestly priced lodgings surround the island in Palm Beach County. Check Hobe Sound area guides, or The Hobe Sound Chamber of Commerce, for lodging to suit your vacation.
Need to Know
- Jupiter Island, on Florida's Treasure Coast.
- Average fall and winter temperatures range from 65 to 75 F.
- Average spring and summer temperatures range from 70 to 85 F.
- Camping and organized picnicking are not permitted. Hobe offers few facilities.
Isolation makes this a nude-beach enthusiast's dream. Check out our Hobe Sound Wildlife Reservation getaways if you're ready for a clothing-optional retreat.
|Write A Comment|