Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park
Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park has a long title, but earned it. The park covers more than a mile of pure beachfront and was chosen among the Top 10 Beaches by Dr. Stephen Leatherman (aka Dr. Beach). A definite "paradise found" for couples seeking a tropical locale for their beach wedding, the park offers many nuptial choices. Tie the knot on one of the parks' fishing platforms under a covered pavilion overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and Biscayne Bay, or in front of historic Cape Florida Lighthouse.
Overnight boat mooring is also possible in the parks "No Name Harbor." More than the ultimate outdoor Florida wedding chapel, this cape offers great family beaches, and its mix of nature, sea life and sun makes for great ecotourism in Florida.
If you want to bask in the tropical weather, you can kick back in a hammock, stroll the sandy shore or take a quick dip in the ocean.
- On the water: Catch the waves on a Jet Ski or charter a deep-sea fishing boat. If the wind is up, kiteboard or windsurf.
- On shore: You can hike or bike along paths or golf some of the best links Florida's southeast has to offer.
- Cape Florida Lighthouse: Built in 1825, this is one of Florida's most historic and scenic landmarks. Free tours of the restored building run at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Miami Seaquarium: Home to TV's most famous dolphin, Flipper, this aquarium also offers a "Swim with Our Dolphins" program. Not only will you learn about these intelligent sea mammals, you'll get one-on-one time with them in the water.
- Sony Ericsson Open (March): Formerly known as the Nasdaq-100, this event is still held at the Tennis Center in beautiful Crandon Park. While tennis is the main attraction, food and fashion also draw crowds.
- Festival Miami (October): This five-week international music festival, held at the University of Miami Campus, features everything from Mozart to Thelonious Monk, Chopin nocturnes to Cuban rhythms, and everything in between.
Miami Beach nightlife is only 15 minutes from Key Biscayne.
Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park has local ocean view suites, beach motels, beach hotels, condos, rental apartments and vacation homes. Try the Key Biscayne Chamber of Commerce for more accommodation ideas.
Need to Know
- Key Biscayne (a barrier island), six miles off the Miami coast.
- Tropical weather brings hot, moist summers and warm, dry winters.
- The average annual temperature is 76 F.
- Note: Key Biscayne may be vulnerable to tropical storms and hurricanes.
- Hiking trails
- Picnic areas
- Cape Florida Lighthouse
- The Lighthouse Café
Tropical breezes, dolphins and plenty of action both onshore and off make Billy Baggs Cape Florida State Park fun for everyone. If a Billy Baggs Cape vacation is in your future, check out our deals.
|Write A Comment|