Seaside Florida was born out of a notion steeped in romance. Launched by Miami land developer, Robert Davis, Seaside is the fulfillment of a dream to revive Northwest Florida's wood-framed cottages, narrow streets and white picket fences. Seaside's foot-friendly design was the first of its kind, bringing markets, art galleries, shops and restaurants right to its guests. With a half mile of fine white sand, it's the perfect romantic getaway for couples. Imagine a Florida wedding in a brightly white-washed wooden pavilion that opens like a picture frame onto a panoramic unspoiled beach.
Seaside's Gulf-front, Victorian-style cottages seem designed especially for honeymooners, but snowbirds and those looking to relax will also be swept away by Seaside's wistful charm.
The outdoor focus here is living the good life under the sun:
- Spring and summer bring jazz concerts, beach parties and arts festivals.
- Fall welcomes seafood sampling and nature or historic tours.
- Winter lights up with tree lighting ceremonies.
The town itself is the attraction. An architectural curiosity, with a planned beach community of post-modern homes and cottages situated around the town's amenities, Seaside is as pretty as a picture, and is the perfect place for a beach wedding. The Seaside Interfaith Chapel's 68-foot bell tower is the highest building in the community. The area is best known as the location for Jim Carey's movie The Truman Show, and pieces of the set have been incorporated into Seaside's charm.
- Sundancer Adventure Triathlon (September): Formerly known as the Seaside Adventure Triathlon, only the name has changed. Athletes bike, kayak and run to the finish line.
- Seeing Red Wine Festival (November): With nearly 300 wines from around the world, lectures and tastings conducted by featured winemakers, this festival is a must-taste event for wine enthusiasts.
Elmo's Grill features live entertainment, but a trip to Fort Walton or Destin may be required if you're looking to party.
Seaside Beach has vacation homes and Gulf-front cottages, a motor court and a bed and breakfast. With no towering resorts or buildings more than four stories tall, the views are amazing.
Need to Know
- South Walton, between Destin and Panama City Beach.
- Summer temperatures range from 80 to 91 F.
- Winter ranges from 50 to 75 F, but prices drop when the temperature does.
- Park the car. Everything is easily accessible by foot or bike.
|Write A Comment|