AKA Elgin Air Force Base
Eglin Air Force Base Reserve (Eglin AFB) has been a safe haven for nude beach bathers for decades. The clothing-optional portion is found at the east end of Navarre Beach, which technically lies on the property owned by Eglin AFB, located on a barrier island near Pensacola in northwest Florida. Santa Rosa County has had a long-standing animosity and unfriendly attitude with nudists over the years, and authorities at Eglin Air Force Base used to grant refuge on their beach until recently.
According to many naturist websites, the base now arrests any trespassers using their beach. But you'll still likely find many nude sunbathers on the east side of Navarre Beach (be advised to dress quickly if you see patrollers approaching).
Navarre Beach is the least developed beach in the Pensacola area. While nude swimming draws some naturists, others prefer to keep their clothes on and pursue:
- Fishing: The park's 800-foot pier offers plenty of fishing for anglers, including Gulf kingfish and Florida pompano.
- Wildlife watching: The pier also offers views of dolphins, shorebirds, sea turtles and manta rays.
- Fort Pickens: Built in 1834 and used until WWII, this lighthouse has a lot of history - some even say it's haunted by the ghost of famed Apache Chief Geronimo who was imprisoned there.
- Gulf Island National Seashore: Florida's largest tract of protected shoreline provides a paradise for nature-lovers.
A short drive to Pensacola's historic Seville Square will get you to the best in live entertainment. Highlights include:
- Pensacola JazzFest (April): This free music festival offers a wide range of jazz suitable for the whole family.
- Pensacola Seafood Festival (September): Feast on traditional and gourmet seafood to the sounds of live entertainment.
Pensacola's Seville Historic District bustles with New Orleans-style charm, bars and pubs.
Primitive and full-amenity campgrounds (with water / electric hookups) can be found on Santa Rosa Island, in Fort Pickens and Pensacola. Bed and breakfasts, historic inns, resort condos and familiar hotel chains are scattered throughout Pensacola. Navarre Beach Chamber of Commerce is a great resource for your Florida holidays.
Need to Know
- East end of Navarre Beach, near Pensacola
- High temperatures are 77 F.
- Lows are 60 F on average.
- Free fishing pier
Close to historical charm and clothing-optional sunning, Navarre Beach sums up Florida's eclectic mix. If you're ready to take off into the sunset - or take it all off - these Navarre Beach ideas will spark some ideas.
|Write A Comment|