New Smyrna Beach
Where the ocean meets the sky
New Smyrna Beach prides itself on being a casual, unhurried coastal town, free of crowds, pollution and noise. No wonder snowbirds flock here, as do vacationers seeking best value. With 13 miles of white sand, locals describe this slice of Florida as the place "where the ocean meets the sky". While water sports rule, offshore activities include museums and art galleries paying homage to its status as the second oldest settled city in Florida. Protected by rock ledges 45 miles offshore, New Smyrna Beach has no dangerous undercurrents and is considered one of the safest swimming beaches in the world.
Golf, hiking, tennis and shelling are popular outdoor activities. Other highlights include:
- Fishing: The backwaters of Mosquito Lagoon or the Atlantic Ocean are ideal for offshore anglers.
- Surfing: Excellent wave breaks and low undertows, thanks to the rock ledges offshore, make this a surfer's haven.
On shore, shopping on Canal Street or Flagler Avenue will satisfy your retail needs with numerous antique shops and boutiques, and fabulous seafood restaurants are plentiful when you need a break. With Orlando only 45 minutes away, New Smyrna is the closest beach to the many theme parks of Walt Disney World. Closer to home, there's:
- Black Heritage Museum: Learn about the underground railroad, Martin Luther King, Buffalo Soldiers and more.
- The Atlantic Center for the Arts: This nonprofit arts community and education center offers presentations, workshops and exhibits across all artistic disciplines - from dance to fabric art.
- Black Heritage Festival (February): This annual event includes storytelling, exhibits, African American arts, crafts and clothing, music and dancing. Living history demonstrations show you how to make soap, candles, quilts and butter the old-fashioned way.
- Speedweek (February): Engines and energy run high at the Daytona 500's climactic finish.
Flagler Avenue and Canal Street offer up a varied menu of clubs, pubs and nightlife for every taste.
Affordable accommodations range from motels to oceanfront hotels, condos and cozy bed and breakfasts.
Need to Know
- The New Smyrna Beach Resort Area is located on the central east coast of Florida. It's bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Intracoastal Waterway to the west.
- Average annual temperature is 74 F year-round.
- South end of beach accommodates both pedestrian and vehicular traffic
- Picnic tables
More than a laidback sleepy town, New Smyrna Beach offers surf and sun. Your New Smyrna Beach getaway is only a click away.
|Write A Comment|