Orlando's closest beach
Cocoa Beach is one of the rare places where ancient cypress forests meld with state-of-the-art technology. The perfect balance of sea and space, Cocoa beach is vacation nirvana for those seeking family beaches or best value beaches. Here, pristine nature preserves and expansive beaches meet the excitement of a space shuttle streaking into orbit.
Explore marshy wetlands by airboat, ride a horse on the beach, soak up the sun on the sandy shores, or go deep-sea fishing in the Atlantic. After a long day outdoors, you can discover serenity watching the sun set on the Indian or Banana River. One must-see highlight includes:
- Port Canaveral: Fish off the jetty or head for the high seas on a luxurious cruise liner.
You can escape the heat by shopping in the charming boutiques of Historic Cocoa Village or one of the expansive malls. Other highlights include:
- NASA's Kennedy Space Center: Tour the facility or test your astronaut skills with the interactive exhibits. Unexpected features include a rocket garden and an art gallery.
- Disney World: The world's biggest and most spectacular theme park is within an hour's drive.
- Fine Art Shows (4th weekend in April): This Melbourne event includes 250 artists from across the country, a 5 kilometer run, live entertainment, kid's attractions and workshops.
- Teen Fest (August): The 13-and-up crowd will enjoy live entertainment, contests, competitions and rock climbing, thanks to Kiwanis Island Park.
Port Canaveral boasts an array of restaurants and taverns. Floating tiki bars make this area a nightlife hotspot.
One of the more affordable vacation destinations, Cocoa Beach offers endless choices, from casual rooms to elegant luxury suites. The Cocoa Beach Area Chamber of Commerce has great accommodation ideas to fit every budget.
Need to Know
- Central East on Florida's Space Coast between Titusville and Melbourne.
- Average winter temperature is 60 F.
- Average summer temperatures are 80 F.
- Seasonal lifeguards
- Six dune crossovers
- Volleyball courts
- Barbecue grills
Sea and space make Cocoa Beach a thrill. Let your inner astronaut take flight with a Cocoa Beach vacation.
|Write A Comment|